Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rag & Bone - Spring 2011 - Review

Gone are the days of slim fit tailoring at Rag & Bone. In a move to further embrace their American Workwear roots, David Neville and Marcus Wainwright have designed a collection centered around durable, denim Americana, with a somewhat dark twist. This means denim overalls, leather car coats, and indigo work shirts. Although the collection does do workwear fabrics justice, it fails to be anywhere near as wearable or covetable as the Fall 2010 collection that just hit stores.

A closer look at the 29 looks further demonstrates denim's influence on the Rag & Bone boys, even if it was not present in every single look that took the runway earlier this week. The models paraded out in blue looks made up of everything from a denim poncho, to an Alexander McQueen-esque printed button up, to a denim onesie. For the last 6 or so looks, shots of color in the form of bright orange, mustard yellow and turquoise were injected into garments. Although this did create energy, it only further puzzled me.

At this point, I'm scratching my head and thinking, "When did Rag & Bone become a gothic, fashion forward label specializing in pieces made for the runway that eventually get dumbed down in stores?" What I've come to love about Rag & Bone is that, on almost every occasion, what you see is what you get. With the exception of a suede and shearling vest that I couldn't get the salesman to sell me off of the mannequin last week (just another example of my devotion to this label), almost everything that walked the runway for Fall 2010 made it into the stores (much to my delight might I add). Just the other night I was scheming of ways to earn a few thousand extra dollars (jokes) so that I could clothe myself completely in Rag & Bone. I know that's a big fashion misstep to wear head-to-toe, but why not? They make basics better and standout pieces at reasonable prices. Why would they change their formula now after a season so adored by editors, celebrities, and buyers alike?

When it's all over I am left disappointed. The label I turn to for chic cardigans, great outerwear, and luxe basics has done a 180, leaving me with baggy jeans, loud prints, and ridiculous garments fit more for a serviceman than an off duty model. Of course I'll be interested to see what actually get's bought and used for editorial but all I can ask is this: Who is the Rag & Bone man now?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Natty NYC

A collection of items, videos, songs, happenings, people, places, things, and the like that embody the natty lifestyle in New York City and abroad.